Forums > Model Colloquy > Agency left me hanging

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

So I recently started working with a prominent Modelling Agency in my area - however they are based in another city ....I had shot with one of their major Models before she had joined them . And I have shot with 2 of their newer faces since

Regarding the second of these Newer Faces - The Agency had offered her to me ie  messaged me that she was in town and available to shoot . I liked her Look and agreed . during the shoot the Model revealed that she actually lived in a city that was 200 miles away and had driven here for the shoot . I felt bad for the Model and gave her some extra Money for Gas ,The Shoot went well so I got the idea of a second shoot with the same Model in her home city ( which is quite scenic ) Both the Model and Agency Agreed to a second shoot

From my first contact with the Agency - they made it clear that they wanted all the major communication between myself and the Model to go through them - but were ok if the details of the shoot ( ie time . location etc ) were communicated directoly between myself and the Model -and we did have such communication with respect to the first shoot

A Date and Time were set up for the Second Shoot  - and early that day I set out by car to travel to that city . I texted the Model that I was on my way - but did not get a response . When i was halfway to her city - I texted again

Our shoot was scheduled for 5pm that day and I arrived at my Motel ( close to the shoot location ) at 4;15 . A few minutes later just as i was checking in - I receive a call from her Agency reporting that the Model would not be available for the shoot as she had sprained her ankle earlier in the day . An alternative Model was not offered to me - and I was left to complete the check in and stay the night at the Model .... I was sort of shocked by what had just happened and definitely needed to rest a bit

Sometime during the evening - the Model sent me a Video of her ankle ( looking very swollen ) but no other communication

The next day the Agency phoned me back to offer me another Model - who was a minor and whose look did not appeal to me , I declined and went  home

After returning home I sent an email to the Agency asking them why the Model could not have texted me about her injury while i was in transit . The response I got from the Agency was " we train our Models not do talk with photographers "

I sent a follow up email to the agency pointing out to them that if I had been messaged about the injury earlier that day - i could have cancelled my motel reservation . saved $175 and driven home

No response to that email

If you were in my shoes what would you do next >?

Aug 21 20 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I am sorry to hear this!

Aug 21 20 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

What does your written contract with the agency specify about such situations?

Aug 21 20 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Obviously there is no written contract -given that I am seeking advice here

Just a string of emails and texts - agreeing to the general terms of the shoot

Aug 21 20 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

double post - sorry

Aug 21 20 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Garry k wrote:
Obviously there is no written contract -given that I am seeking advice here

Just a string of emails and texts - agreeing to the general terms of the shoot

I've never worked with an agency before so I didn't know. I figured they would have some sort of written agreement with all the rules they are trying to place on the models and photographers. Maybe some agencies do.

It would seem like there is no real advantage to working with that agency. It sounds like they just take a commission on everything passing through.

At least you know the model wasn't lying about the injury, well unless the image was taken a year or two ago. I'd just write off the agency and if I wanted to work with the model make her / him a cash offer.

Aug 21 20 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

I have done creative ( non commercial ) shoots with Models from a few agencies

Generally they are ok with a general description of the shoot , details of how the pictures will be used etc . Some have asked for a Model Call Sheet

https://www.google.com/search?q=model+c … mp;bih=772

I have only ever signed one contract and that was with the Agency that discovered Coco Rocha .. I had shot Coco as part of a trade ( with no paperwork ) and the Agency thought the next Model of theirs that i wanted to shoot - would hit the same heights ( she didnt )

Aug 21 20 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Garry k wrote:
If you were in my shoes what would you do next >?

bill them? 

The paper trail of emails should suffice as an agreement.  idk

Aug 21 20 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

that is an option

I find myself in an awkward position as i would like to remain on good terms with them ( so that i can use them as a reference ) but also feel that mistreated me and at least owe me some acknowledgement of that ( compensation would be better )

Aug 22 20 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Agency has now offered me 2 Free Shoots w their Models as compensation

( i had previously been paying $100 per creative shoot )

Appears the Matter has been resolved

Aug 24 20 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

im shocked that youre paying 'the agency'.
if youre hiring models, cant you just contact them directly through other means?

also why did you post this in the model section of the forums?
general industry would have been a better fit.

Aug 24 20 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Paolo D Photography wrote:

Gary is a client.

Aug 24 20 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Paolo D Photography wrote:
if youre hiring models, cant you just contact them directly through other means?

also why did you post this in the model section of the forums?
general industry would have been a better fit.

What is so shocking about paying $100 to shoot with a Top Agency Model in my area ? Especially to keep my book up to date . Small Price to pay

I shoot Her well - my stock goes up and suddenly more Models and aspiring Models want to shoot with me

I started my MM portfolio with some photos that i had taken of Coco Rocha ( on a trade basis with her and a local Designer ) I couldn't begin to count how many Models were interested in shooting with after that

My guess is that You have never attempted to shoot a mainboard Model from a top Agency in your area .

You dont just contact them and set up a shoot - everything has to go through their Agency

And such Agencies tend to be particular about who can shoot their Models and for what purposes

Aug 24 20 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Mark Salo wrote:

Gary is a client.

Yes - Occasionally

Aug 24 20 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Gary is a client.

Garry k wrote:
Yes - Occasionally

The agency sure didn't treat you like a client.

I, and along with some of the others in this thread assume it was a free test (aka tf in today's language).

Aug 25 20 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Garry k wrote:

Sounds like the agency is honorable and doing the right thing. You're lucky to have established a good working relationship with them and they feel they owe you something for your troubles.

Keep working with them, is my advice . . .

Aug 25 20 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Garry k wrote:

That is good to hear.  I don't know which agency it is but they clearly value their reputation and understand the significance of redemption under these particular circumstances.  Clearly, not a fly-by-night-middleman-hack agency.  Glad to know they reached out with an attempt at resolution.

I hope your two new shoots more than compensate!

Aug 25 20 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Chuckarelei wrote:
The agency sure didn't treat you like a client.  [/qoute]

I, and along with some of the others in this thread assume it was a free test (aka tf in today's language).

If I ask an Agency to shoot with a Model off of their mainboard - I usually offer some compensation ( ie $100 ) out of respect for the Model and what she has achieved

But even with New Faces I had been offering some compensation . I had a deal worked out with a local dept stores makeup counter where they would do the Models makeup in exchange for a $50 purchase - and i would let the Model keep the purchase . But Covid has thrown a wrench into that - and i am having to use talented free lance MUAs who want to build their books ( and there are a lot of them where i live )

When I first started doing Model Photography - I strictly did TF for years ...but i adjusted my thinking and started paying Models about 5 years ago for a few f reasons 1 ) some of the best Models were eluding me and 2 ) the exploitation of Models that I saw in my own little part of the fashion world bothered me  3 ) there is a noticeable lack of employment opportunities for young people in these times

Aug 25 20 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I never paid a model to shoot, it was always a paid test or a personal project. It looks like the agency is too controlling and failed the pro test when they didn’t inform you about the accident but made it right by offering free shoots. The relationship between an agency and photographer is tricky, they want beautiful images to promote their model and you want beautiful subjects to build your book. Unfortunately, until you have clients that book models you are subject to their rules.

Aug 26 20 11:17 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Double post

Aug 26 20 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

tcphoto wrote:
I never paid a model to shoot, it was always a paid test or a personal project. It looks like the agency is too controlling and failed the pro test when they didn’t inform you about the accident but made it right by offering free shoots. The relationship between an agency and photographer is tricky, they want beautiful images to promote their model and you want beautiful subjects to build your book. Unfortunately, until you have clients that book models you are subject to their rules.

I think though that you can do both - keep updating your book with established agency Models and charge aspiring Models

Aug 26 20 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

"Your policy of controlling communication between photographers and models caused me to waste a whole day of time, gas, and spend $175 unnecessarily on a hotel room for a shoot that never happened.  If you want to work with me again, there will be a $500 fee plus my regular shooting rates."

Aug 27 20 11:38 am Link

Model

JessyG

London, England, United Kingdom

Sep 18 20 09:14 am Link